Eastern Province History

Print

history_holy_cross_easternThe former Eastern Province of Priests and Brothers was established in 1948, although it dated back to the 1930s, when a plan was drawn up to extend the Holy Cross ministry. Rev. James Connerton, C.S.C., served as the Eastern Province’s first Provincial.

Within the boundaries of the Eastern Province, two colleges were established: King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (1946), and Stonehill College in Easton, Mass (1948).

Among the other ministries of the Eastern Province of Priests and Brothers were Family Rosary and Family Theater Productions, founded by Rev. Patrick Peyton, C.S.C., the internationally renowned “Rosary Priest,” who died in 1992. Fr. Peyton’s cause for sainthood was recently accepted by the Vatican, which officially declared him a “Servant of God” in 2001. Family Rosary and Family Theater Productions are a part of Holy Cross Family Ministries, which is headquartered in North Easton, Mass.

In response to the call of Pope John XXIII for religious congregations to send missionaries to Latin America, Rev. George DePrizio, C.S.C., the Second Provincial of the Eastern Province of Priests and Brothers, sent religious to northern Peru in 1963. The District of Peru serves the needy in the cities of Lima and Tacna in Southern Peru.