The Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross traces its origins back to 1841, when Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., along with six Holy Cross brothers, arrived in Indiana. The group had travelled from France to the United States at the request of Holy Cross founder Blessed Basil Moreau to serve as educators in the faith. In 1842, Fr. Sorin founded the University of Notre Dame and Notre Dame has been home to the Indiana Province ever since. Fr. Sorin oversaw the mission of Holy Cross in the rest of the United States, including foundations in New Orleans and later what would become St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas. In 1901, after Portland’s Archbishop challenged the priests and brothers to “make it the Notre Dame of the Pacific Northwest,” the Indiana Province assumed control of the University of Portland.
Prior to July 1, 2011, the Indiana Province sponsored 11 parishes in six states and the region of Mexico, as well as missions in the Districts of Chile and East Africa: Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya. It also sponsors ministries for the poor and homeless, including André House, which serves the Phoenix area, and St. André Bessette Catholic Church, which serves the Portland, Ore., area. In 1865, Fr. Sorin founded Ave Maria Press to spread the Word of God through the printed word. Ave Maria is a leading publisher of Catholic books.