Sacred Heart Parish, Notre Dame
Located on the campus of the University of Notre Dame,Sacred Heart Parishisthe oldest, continuous parish founded and staffed by the Congregation of Holy Cross. The parish was started with the University of Notre Dame in late November of 1842 by Holy Cross priests and brothers, led by the Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C.
Parish liturgies are held daily in the Crypt of Notre Dame’s Sacred Heart Basilica. The Sacred Heart Parish Center, built in 1919 as the college seminary, now offers dining facilities that can accommodate up to 200 people, a large meeting room that can be divided into two rooms, six small meeting rooms, 58 dorm-style bedrooms and a nursery.
The parish’s Social Justice Ministry seeks to live out the Gospel message to respect human life and dignity and to work for justice and peace. The ministry includes Center for Peace and Non-Violence, Habitat for Humanity, a neighborhood food pantry, a community rescue mission and a refugee program.
St. Joseph Parish, South Bend
Although the current church was erected in 1965, South Bend’sSt. Joseph Parishpossesses a rich history dating all the way back to 1853 when Rev. Edward F. Sorin, C.S.C., founder of the University of Notre Dame, established St. Joseph, originally called St. Alexis Chapel.
The parish is South Bend’s oldest Catholic worship community and its St. Joseph Grade School was founded one year after the parish and thus is the oldest, continuously operating school in the city of South Bend. In 2011, it was named a named a National Blue Ribbon School. The focus of the parish and the school is not on the past, but on each new day’s opportunities to give witness to the conviction that the Kingdom of God is at hand.
Parishioners refer to St. Joseph Parish simply as “St. Joe.” This choice of name reflects the loving familiarity with which members regard their parish and each other.
Holy Cross Parish, South Bend
Holy Cross Parish was founded in 1929— served by a Holy Cross pastoral team with a single mission: to glorify God. Members of the parish do so by using their time, talent and treasure in worship and in service to all of their brothers and sisters.
Members participate in a wide variety of activities that enhance their spiritual lives while improving the lives of others, including the parish’s annual “Simple Living” raffle to raise money for the St. Vincent de Paul Society and fundraisers for St. Margaret’s House, a day center that improves the lives of poverty stricken women. Members also take part in “Theology on Tap,” which offers food, fellowship and faith to parishioners in their 20s and 30s. Holy Cross School was established in 1929 — even before the church building was established — and is one of the oldest Catholic elementary schools in Indiana.
St. Adalbert/St. Casimir Parish, South Bend
St. Adalbert Parish and St. Casimir Parish were both founded by Polish-Americans, but today are very culturaly diverse parishes offering Masses in Spanish, as well as English. St. Aldalbert even offers a Mass in Polish. In 2003, the two parishes were united under one pastoral team staffed by the Congregation of Holy Cross.
St. Adalbert Parish is united in the belief of the redeeming and real presence of Jesus Christ. St. Adalbert Parish is strengthening families and the South Bend community through evangelization, vibrant worship, the education of children, the faith formation of the people of God and service to those in need. Saint Adalbert Catholic School is a University of Notre Dame Magnificat School.
St. Casimir Parish, founded in 1899, has been staffed ever since by the Congregation of Holy Cross. One of the most beautiful structures in the area, the church was awarded the highest historical architectural ranking by the Historic Preservation Commission.
In addition to its many fundraising events and Right-to-Life Dinner, St. Casimir offers twice-weekly, after-school tutoring by students from the University of Notre Dame, youth and senior groups, citizenship and English classes and Saturday and Sunday Spanish Masses.
Christ the King Catholic Church, South Bend
Founded in 1933 to serve the area just north of South Bend,Christ the King Catholic Churchis a parish of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. Entrusted to the care ofthe Congregation of Holy Cross, the church has been faithfully served by Holy Cross priests, sisters and brothers ever since.
Classes began at Christ the King School in 1953, with the original school building opening in 1955. The school has since witnessed several expansions. A new primary wing opened in 1979 and another addition was dedicated in 2001, housing a new library andcomputer, music and science facilities. The school servesmore than500 children from Pre-K through 8th grade. In 2008, the school was named a National Blue Ribbon School.