Kampala, Uganda — At its most recent District Chapter on Dec. 31, 2011, the District of East Africa elected a Superior and District Councilors.
Provincial Superior Rev. David T. Tyson, C.S.C., of the United States Province was there to welcome Rev. Patrick Neary, C.S.C., as the new Superior. A native of LaPorte, Ind., Fr. Pat has served most recently as director of McCauley Formation House in Nairobi. Rev. Aristedes Massawe, C.S.C. of the U.S. Province, and Br. Evarest Neema, C.S.C. of the Moreau Province of Brothers, were also elected as District Councilors.
The previous District Superior was Rev. James Burasa, C.S.C., who has served as District Superior for the past nine years. The Congregation wishes Fr. Burasa many blessings during his coming sabbatical and in the years ahead.
During this District Chapter, the life and work of the first African-native Holy Cross priest, Rev. Fulgens Katende, C.S.C., was celebrated. Fr. Katende celebrated 25 years in religious life.
Holy Cross established a presence in East Africa in response to an invitation given through Propaganda Fide by Bishop Ogez of the Mbarara Diocese. The first group of Holy Cross priests to arrive was led by longtime missionary Father Vincent J. McCauley, who later became the first Bishop of Fort Portal Diocese. He was accompanied by Fathers Francis Zagorc, Burton Smith, and Robert Hesse. These four intrepid missionaries landed on Ugandan soil on November 4, 1958.