Together we are, as the Holy Cross Constitution states “disciples of Jesus” who “stand side by side with all people. Like them we are burdened by the same struggles and beset by the same weaknesses; like them we are made new by the same Lord’s love; like them we hope for a world where justice and love prevail” (Constitution 2:12).
"Baptized and Sent: The Church of Christ on Mission in the World"
Each year, the Pope dedicates the third Sunday of October as World Mission Sunday, and selects a theme focusing on the importance of Missions in our lives. This year, Pope Francis designated all of October as an Extraordinary Mission Month!
This Extraordinary Mission Month and World Mission Sunday are opportunities for all of us to celebrate and support the missionary activity which is one of the greatest strengths of being Catholic in the world today.
Pope Francis selected the theme for this occasion as “Baptized and Sent: The Church of Christ on Mission in the World” signifying the call to action for all of us who are sons and daughters of Christ through baptism. Pope Francis has called us, the Church, to “rediscover the missionary dimension of our faith in Jesus Christ, a faith graciously bestowed on us in baptism” (Pope Francis).
In all corners of the world, Holy Cross religious and our lay partners have crossed borders of all sorts to bring the hope of Jesus Christ to those in most need. From Bangladesh to Peru to Uganda and Tanzania, to Chile to Haiti and Mexico the Holy Cross Community has come together to support each another in the lived human experience. There is no way that Holy Cross could advance the Catholic faith and all it encompasses in these regions around the world without your help. Not only do we feed people spiritually, we identify their educational, health, and social needs by walking and living with them and then, with your help, work to meet these needs.
Last year, our friends and benefactors contributed gifts totaling a tremendous $97,000 to our World Mission Sunday appeal. Here are a few examples of areas impacted by these gifts:
- Children who would not otherwise have the opportunity to attend school are receiving some of the best education in their countries.
- Mothers and their children with disabilities who, in the past were ostracized or left without support, are now feeling worthy and valuable, receiving services to enhance their lives.
- Chapels staffed with catechists in remote villages, where priests are not available, provide faith development to those hungry for the good news of Jesus Christ.
Your support will advance our efforts to:
- Expand our support and advocacy for at-risk children and woman.
- Protect women who are vulnerable to injustice in their communities, by providing them education and skills which are tools for gaining independence and confidence in themselves.
- As always, we will strive to lift up children by advancing their lives through education.
To make a gift in honor of World Mission Sunday, please fill out and submit the form below. You can also send a check or money order payable to "Holy Cross Mission Center" and write "World Mission Sunday" in the memo line. Checks/money orders may be mailed to: Holy Cross Mission Center P.O. Box 543 Notre Dame, IN 46556. Your support brings hope for a better future to our sisters and brothers around the world that they otherwise could not imagine.