Ash Wednesday is Feb. 13 – the first day of Lent – a time of preparation for the Lord’s Passion, Death and Resurrection.
Experience a 30-day retreat with our founder Blessed Basil Moreau by reading Praying from the Heart of Holy Cross Spirituality by Br. Joel Giallanza, C.S.C., printed by Ave Maria Press. The book features adaptations of Blessed Basil Moreau’s writings and teachings and are intended to nurture the spirit of prayerfulness–that spirit through which our attentiveness to God becomes second nature
Apostolates of the United States Province are also offering a variety of resources to help your reflection and preparation during this Lenten season:
Ave Maria Press
- “You have Redeemed the World: Praying the Stations in the Holy cross Tradition” by Revs. Andrew Gawrych, C.S.C., and Kevin Grove, C.S.C.
- “The Gift of the Cross: Lenten Reflections in the Holy Cross Traditions,” edited by Rev. Andrew Gawrych, C.S.C.;
- “The Seven Deadly Sins: A Visitor’s Guide” by 2012 Spirit of Holy Cross Award winner Lawrence S. Cunningham;
- “The Living Gospel: Daily Devotions for Lent 2013” by R. Scott Hurd is new for the season;
- “Sacred Space for Lent 2013” by the Irish Jesuits also is new for 2013; and
- “Bringing Lent Home with Mother Teresa: Prayers, Reflections and Activities for Families” by Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle.
Ave Maria Press also has an iPhone app for the Stations of the Cross. It is available in both English and Spanish.
Holy Cross Family Ministries/Family Rosary
University of Notre Dame
Campus Ministry at the University of Notre Dame has information on its website regarding Lent, Stations of the Cross and the Easter Triduum. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart provides a schedule of liturgies, Confessions, Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Stations of the Cross and Rosaries at the Basilica and the Grotto, including Holy Week offerings.
University of Portland
The Mass schedule and other Lenten resources and list of events also are available online from Campus Ministry at King’s College (Wilkes-Barre, Pa.).) King’s also is planning a religious-themed movie series on Friday/Saturday nights during Lent and the college councils of the Knights of Columbus and Columbiettes will host the popular DVD series “Catholicism.”
Stonehill College (Easton, Mass.) offers seasonal reflections for Lent written by students, faculty, alumni, staff and trustees. They are available online. The Mass and service schedule also is available online.
New this year at Stonehill will be the monthly Moreau Year of Faith Lectures. The first will be offered by Rev. James Lies, C.S.C., Vice President for Mission at the College. It will be at 7 p.m. Feb. 14 in the Cleary Dining Room in Roche Dining Commons. He will discuss “Conscience and Moral Decision Making.” It is open to the public.